Carrot Top + Orange Almond Pesto
PESTO with the carrot tops (aka fronds). Did you know? the tops of carrots actually have SIX TIMES the amount of vitamin C than the actual carrots! They are also loaded with many other vitamins and minerals, so don't waste them, eat them. They're free after all!
- 1/2 cup almonds (good quality nuts really shine here! So make it count when purchasing)
- 1 tbsp. Ghee (sub avocado oil if you'd rather)
- Heaping 2 cups carrot tops
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1/4- 1/2 orange
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- Olive oil and salt pepper drizzled/sprinkled to your desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss almonds with 1 tbs ghee or avocado oil and a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper.
- Roast until they smell amazing (around 10-12 min). Set aside to cool thoroughly. Once cooled, add to food processor with carrot tops, juice from lemon and orange, and garlic. Blend until desired consistency. Slowly stream in olive oil until you reach desired smoothness (it will thicken a bit as it cools).
- Season with salt and pepper and blend again. Add a little extra lemon juice! If you can tolerate cheese, a little fresh grated parmesan is delicious added towards the end too.
Delicious tossed with zucchini noodles or made into a dressing (thinner, drizzly version) or served as a dip or spread (thicker iteration)