Baked Pesto Salmon with Curried Cauliflower and Garlic Dandelion Greens
There are so many ways to cook your fish. One of my absolute favorites is baked! Baked salmon keeps it moist and avoids cooking it on too high of temperatures which can alter the nutritional value. Salmon is a fish I consume weekly--I admit, it is a slight obsession! It is one of the richest fish sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which supports the health of our body, brain, and skin.
*See "SNACKS, SIDES, SAUCES" recipes for yogurt sauce
- Yogurt + Cilantro sauce*
- 6 oz. salmon
- 1 cup basil leaves, packed
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 large handful of dandelion greens
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. sweet onion, chopped (I mixed in with the dandelion greens and garlic, but are completely optional)
- 1/4 lemon (for drizzling on greens and salmon)
- 1 head of cauliflower (for leftovers)
- 3 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1-2 tbsp. curry powder spice blend (you want it well seasoned)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut 1 head cauliflower into florets; toss on a large rimmed baking sheet. Coat with 3 tbsp. avocado oil and 2 tbsp. curry powder spice blend.
- Roast, tossing occasionally, until almost tender, 35-40 minutes. Set aside. Turn oven down to 250.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on salmon and bake on a baking sheet for 25-30 minutes (cook until desired degree of doneness-- I prefer medium-rare). Coat with pesto immediately out of the oven.
- Finely chop garlic 5-10 minutes before cooking greens ( ALLICIN an organosulfur compound is formed from it's inactive form allium when you finely chop it, breaking down the cell wall. You want to get the nutritional benefits of allicin because this compound is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-cancer-- when added to heat without waiting, these properties are blocked. Allowing to wait to cook it,crushed, garlic also loses minimal nutrients).
- In a saute pan, add 1 tbsp. avocado oil and toss in washed dandelion greens. Saute for 8-10 minutes. Add garlic for remaining 2-3 minutes.
- Place all cooked foods onto a plate and toss a heaping spoonful of the yogurt sauce on the side and enjoy! I love dipping the salmon in the yogurt sauce, but the meal is perfectly delicious without the yogurt if you are dairy free.